Wednesday, March 10, 2010

(partial) SUCCESS!!!

Back-story:
So I got a problem with wearing traditional flip flops aka thongs aka sandals aka etc, not sure if its the sweet cliff toes i got going, or I am just a super human freak of nature, or maybe everybody else figured out the skill and I havent, It did take me longer to learn to ride a bike :) The whole time Id been in Thailand Id heard of people getting their flip flops either left somewhere when they went out, lost, or stolen. Its difficult to keep track of them because you are expected to take off your shoes whenever entering a building. Whether it be a shop or home or hostel, basically anywhere except for 7-11.

Ive been abstaining from alcohol for a few weeks now (from binge drinking anyway) because of cost and the possibility of leg cramps while taking my open water certification. So when I met back up with a couple of guys from England and an Australian guy I decided it was about time to represent (heh, ego). It was a damn good night and getting better, one of the English blokes was celebrating his B-day so there where shots all around. Then there was no more, a bit here a bit there but after the second shot of cheap local wisky my body was on its own. I woke up the next "morning" with the casualties being my recently bought T (super sweet shirt that i was still trying to figure out what it meant) and MY SANDALS!!! I had been worried for weeks that this exact situation would play out (because of my inadequacy with flip flops and because Id heard so many others in the same situation). One of my few possessions that has treated me well and been with me since the beginning of my trip. I woke from my drunken stupor at about 4 O'clock the following day to this horrifying realization. Stumbling to the door I tried to remember what the hell happened the previous night but recalling only a few abstract instances, more of ideas of where id been then actual objects/people. So I dragged myself barefooted up and down the beach in unrealistic hopes of the ocean coughing them back up. After a couple hours without any result I decided to give it up for the day and try back "fresh" in the mornin. In my initial search I found a couple piles of lost flip flops and picked through for what was closest fitting. The next day I was a little less cloudy and remembered playing around near a tall hotel building that was under construction, and I know I was on the beach cause my pockets where full of sand and salt. So walking down the beach damn near aimlessly, on the verge of tears, I looked in a little dingy and saw what might be, is IT? IT IS, one of my sandals!!! It took me a minute for it to register because I didnt think there was any way Id see either one again. I thanked the guys lounging around who owned the dingy and offered them my right replacement flip flop. Before they stopped laughing at my enthusiasm I was in the water searching for my long lost sandal. After a thorough once over of the surrounding waters I decided to end the search. I continued to keep an eye out for it on door steps and shorelines but finally gave up on it. I dont know how ill ever replace them, we had so many good times, and they treated me so well. If there is one thing that can help me feel better its
BANGKOK!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment